Re: [Exim] Problem with aliases and directors

Author: William Thompson
To: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Problem with aliases and directors
On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 09:15:41PM +0000, Philip Hazel wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, William Thompson wrote:
>
> > vcheck:
> >         driver = smartuser
> >         local_parts = !root : !wt

> <snip>
>
> > in /etc/exim/aliases, I have:
> >
> > root: wt
> >
> > Here's the problem. I don't want this to run if I send an email to root.
>
> Does that director come before or after the system_aliases director?

It's the first one, so yes.

> > with !root removed:
> > # exim -bt root
> > root@???
> > deliver to root in domain cd2.electro-mechanical.com
> > director = vcheck, transport = vscan
>
> It runs that director. As expected. And I deduce that your aliasing
> director comes afterwards.
>
> > with !wt removed:
> > # exim -bt root
> > wt@???
> >     <-- root@???
> >   deliver to wt in domain cd2.electro-mechanical.com
> >   director = vcheck, transport = vscan

> vcheck didn't run, because of !root. Then root was aliased to wt. When
> wt was processed, the director did run.
>
> > with neither removed:
> > # exim -bt root
> > wt@???
> >     <-- root@???
> >   deliver to wt in domain cd2.electro-mechanical.com
> >   director = localuser, transport = local_delivery

> This time it ran neither for root nor for wt. All entirely as it should.
>
> What you perhaps want is for that director to be skipped for addresses
> created by aliasing. There's an option that you can set which tells Exim
> which director to start with after an aliasing operation. I think it was
> called new_director in Exim 3 (but I'm fast forgetting Exim 3). You
> could use that to avoid running vcheck on wt when it is aliased from
> root.

This is what I didn't realize possibly. Does this mean that in the directors
if it encounters an aliased name and the aliased name goes to another user, it
will goto the first director and start again?

My aliases from exim.conf. it is after vscan. I have other directors before
this one, however, they aren't touched in this case.

system_aliases:
driver = aliasfile
file_transport = address_file
pipe_transport = address_pipe
file = /etc/aliases
search_type = lsearch
user = mail

If you'd like my entire config (just for transport, director, and routers),
I'll send it on (preferably in private email).