[Exim] qualify_domain for sender only?

Páxina inicial
Borrar esta mensaxe
Responder a esta mensaxe
Autor: Bill Moseley
Para: exim-users
Asunto: [Exim] qualify_domain for sender only?
Hi,

Running Exim 3.36 on Debian.

How can I qualify sender addresses for all addresses? I think this is
something like Sendmail's masquerade feature where I want all mail sent
externally to look like it's coming form one domain, regardless of the
machine it's running on.

qualify_domain would seem like the right choice, but that messes up local
delivery (because it adds a domain to unqualified To: addresses).

/etc/email-addresses seems to work, but I'm not clear how to wild-card that
so that it works for all users so I don't have to explicitly list every user.

Here's some details:

The hostname is "burn". The FQDN for this example is "burn.foo.net"
(appologies to foo.net's owner).

The problem is if I send mail to outside machines:

echo "hello" | mail moseley@???

gives this:

     ...error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM: ...
     501 5.1.8 <moseley@???>... Domain of sender address
     moseley@??? does not exist

Which is correct, burn.foo.net does not resolve. foo.net resolves, though.

So, in exim.conf I can add:

qualify_domain = foo.net

And that fixes that problem (since foo.net really exists), but it now means
that sending to a local user on "burn":

echo "hello" | mail moseley

gets sent to moseley@??? instead of delivered locally.

I only want unqualified MAIL FROM: addresses modified, not the RCPT TO:
addresses.

Adding to /etc/email-addresses seems to be the best solution (but not
perfect):

moseley: moseley@???

but I'd like to do is

*: *@foo.net

So it covers all users.

I'm not sure what the "perfect" behavior is -- I can imagine where local
user-to-user mail might not get qualified, or just use the local host name.
So local user Joe sends mail to Bill:

joe@burn: ~$ mail "hi bill" | mail -s "greetings" bill

both addresses would remain unqualified so that when Bill replies it's
delivered locally. But:

joe@burn: ~$ mail "hi bill" | mail -s "greetings" bill@???

Then in that case Joe's address is qualified since the mail is not
delivered locally.

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley