[Exim] Replacing Sendmail with Exim 4.10 on Red Hat 8

Autor: Jason Dale
A: Exim Users
Assumpte: [Exim] Replacing Sendmail with Exim 4.10 on Red Hat 8
Hi :

Thanks to Jim for your previous input :)

O.K , here is the verdict :

I originally intended to use Red Hat 8's 'redhat-switchmail' facility to change to
Exim 4.10 from sendmail without uninstalling anything , but that simply did
not work , because switchmail did not detect my installed exim.

I figured that in Red Hat 8 you have a file called /etc/alternatives/mta which is a
symbolic link to the /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail file. I unlinked this and pointed
it to my exim binary. When restarting the system just to see how my box
would boot , I picked up the following in the boot log file :

-----------
Nov 26 17:45:00 blackhawk sendmail: exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or
incomplete option -L
Nov 26 17:45:00 blackhawk sendmail: sm-client startup failed

I *could* dig into all of the scripts and find out more about the '-L' above and find it's
exim equivalent , but I am considering uninstalling sendmail and hoofing out all of
it's spare parts , so that exim can run exclusively.

Before I pull the plug , I am trying to find out if there are any other services on
Red Hat that rely in sendmail for their functioning and existence.

What would be the best way to set up the system to start exim on bootup ?
Do I place a start up script in /etc/rc.d/init.d ?

Thanks again !

Regards , Jason