Re: [Exim] JANET CERT RBL+ with Exim 4

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Darran Michael Coy
CC: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] JANET CERT RBL+ with Exim 4
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Darran Michael Coy wrote:

> Does anyone in the AC.UK have a working config using
> rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net?

Sure. [Note to other readers: this RBL domain is internal to the
JANET network, under their subscriptions arrangements with MAPS].

Starting from the end, and working backwards from the relevant
clauses of what we use hereabouts... Something like this in the RCPT
ACL:

  deny    hosts = +rbl_hosts
      message = This host is listed in the spam blacklist$dnslist_domain.\n \
        Please contact your local postmaster regarding this blacklisting.\n\
        If your message is genuine and urgent, contact postmaster@{...}
        dnslists = rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net:\
                   spews.relays.osirusoft.com:\
                   proxies.relays.monkeys.com

(insert your own domain as {...} )

Note that messages addressed to postmaster need to bale out earlier
with a clause something like this (you might first want to use a
"warn" clause to cut an x-something header which you will later test
to bypass spam-scanning etc.):

  accept  local_parts = postmaster : abuse
          domains = +local_domains : +relay_domains

In the main configuration part we'd have defined these lists

hostlist rbl_hosts = +include_unknown : ! 127.0.0.1 : \
          ! host : ! host ... : \
          *

where the hosts are local IPs or any other IP or DNS domains that you
want to exclude from the RBL checking.

The definitions of local_domains and relay_domains are presumably
obvious, yes?

good luck (YMMV and IMHO, as always)