Re: [Exim] question regarding maildir and mailbox...

Página superior
Eliminar este mensaje
Autor: Mikel King
A: colm.maccarthaigh
Cc: exim-users
Asunto: Re: [Exim] question regarding maildir and mailbox...
Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:

>On Sat, Nov 23, 2002 at 10:48:00AM -0500, Mikel King wrote:
>

>>Greetings all,
>>
>> I just have a couple of hopefully quick questions...My konundrum is
>>that I have been tasked to develope my ISP's new email server platform,
>>and well I am seriously leaning in exim's direction.
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to define on a case by case basis the method of
>>storage for a perticular user (email addy)?
>>

>yep, but that's very inefficient :) Better off using general rules
>as much as possible.
>

>> 2. Does it work with the builtin vacation (you know the .forward,
>>.vacation.db & .vacation.msg)?
>>

>Yep, if you configure it to.
>

>>   3. Is it possible to store (well anythin is possible but has anyone
>>done it already...) the entirety of exim config in a     mysql db? I
>>shall ellaborate: I want to be able to store domain names, email
>>addresses w/ user profile,
>>   virtusertable/aliases et cettera in the db.

>You can store those specific things, but not the entirety of the config
>(ie you still need an exim.conf somewhere).
>

>> 4. (last question) has anyone ever converted from passwd file to
>>mysql while maintaining the users' current passwords?
>>

>done it with PostGreSQL, but never MySQL. The only reason I can think of
>why you'd want exim to know users passwords is if you're implementing
>authenticated SMTP. If you're doing that you should be able to make
>it work, depending on the hash used by your Operating System for passwd
>files.

Yes exactly that and then using pam_mysql I would like to have the pop3
and imap4 daemons use the same password source. Of corse the motivation
is simplicity, in this age of cutbacks I am only one admin, and well as
I said before the engineers I have to work with are at times less than
stellar. As the old adage goes it's a pour carpenter that blames his
tools, so I am trying to figure out a way to work with the tools I've
been given, and still accomplish the correct end result. I hope you grok
my metaphor...;-)

Thanks everyone's info has been reassuring. Obviously I have a lot of
work to do, just have to sit down and disgnate some time and a machine
to play around on...

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org