Re: [Exim] using exim with fetchmail on a debian box

Autor: Robert Wilhelm Land
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] using exim with fetchmail on a debian box
Dariusz Sznajder wrote:

> Looks like _fetchmail_ message, not Exim message, isn't it?
>

> PS.
>
> From fetchmail man:
>
>        -m  | --mda

>               (Keyword:  mda)  You  can  force  mail  to  be  passed to an MDA

>               directly (rather than forwarded to port 25) with the --mda or -m

> [...]
>
>               ering   mail   through   an   MDA.    Some   possible  MDAs  are

>               "/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -oem -f %F  %T",  "/usr/bin/deliver"  and

>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>               "/usr/bin/procmail  -d  %T" (but the latter is usually redundant

I assumed fetchmail was not interactiong properly with exim
using fetchmail -k -vv >> fetch2.test:

fetchmail:?Command?not?supported.
#exim:?neither?action?flags?nor?mail?addresses?given

There seems to be something exim barely needs and
yes - I intended to force mail to be passed to exim
(as stated at the start of this thread)
by adding the line into fetchmailrc:
"mda /usr/sbin/exim"

which does work in some way because leaving the line
out ended up in a fetchmail error.

As having not that much experience in linux I thought
exim was corrupting fetchmail somehow because there's
no logical reason for me fetchmail reading the byte lengths
of each message on the pop server and then complaining
about unexpected message lengths while fetching each message!
The pop server is ok because this is the only one I use
and mozilla 0.9 (the one I'm using currently)
fetches all mail propertly.

Additionaly I'm aware that errors neccessarely need
not to report the real reason why a program is failing.

Robert