Re: [Exim] 8-bit in From: and Subject:

Página Inicial
Autor: Andreas Metzler
Para: exim-users
Assunto: Re: [Exim] 8-bit in From: and Subject:
On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 10:30:09PM +0100, Arnulv Rudland wrote:
> On Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:40 PM, Steven A. Reisman said:
>> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 05:27:23PM +0000, tsh@??? wrote:
>>> Is there any way of detecting/rejecting msgs with 8-bit chars
>>> (topbit) in their headers (in particular From: and Subject:)

[...]
> why do you need to get rid of them? I receive a lot of mails with encoded
> subjects:

> here an example:
> "Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Olympia_2012_/_MV_M=E4rz_der_WJ_L=FCbeck?="

> which in the receiving MUA translates to:
> "Subject: Olympia 2012 / MV März der WJ Lübeck"

> (%auml; and ü of course displayed as the correct umlaut)

> wouldn't it be better to have a filter doing the straight-foward encoding?
> in worst case a perl one-liner.

Because you do not know it is iso-8859-1. It could be UTF-8, Latin9
or BIG5, too. Checking the content type of the body does not help
either, because mail-programs that fail to encode the headers properly
often don't declare the chatset of the body, too. Additionallly there
is no guarantee/requirement that the header even has the same charset.
                 cu andreas