[Exim] geographically diverse mail servers, all the same dom…

Author: Alexander Koch
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] geographically diverse mail servers, all the same domain
Hello,

I have a setup where a mail domain is handled by several M
Sex Change servers. I now have the opportunity to have ppl
change the MX of the domain to point to my server so I can
shortcut all mails to our department while all other emails
need to be sent to the exchange servers, still.

What is the most 'elegant' way to do it? I am asking since
it is a long time I have been doing exim, not much sysadmin
stuff I do here at my present job.

This is Exim 3.x, unfortunately.

So, basically, I could come up with two options, please let
me know I am too blind to see or it should work...

a) Like UUCP, we are MX for the domain, it's not in
local_domains, we have a router for it that will happily
forward the rest of it all, but then what?

b) mail domain is in local_domains, we have an alias file
for it, and then we need to forward the rest of the mail
domain to some other server.

I know this works, I have it seen other ppl do it at those
2.x times, but that's not with current Exim.

I could be argued into upgrading to Exim 4 for sure, but I
would prefer something I (still) know for today to make it
work.

Thanks indeed,
Alexander

--
Alexander Koch <koch@???> / ako4-ripe
Network Engineer, Tiscali International Network