Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: byname vs bydns for manualroute

Autor: Yann Golanski
A: Philip Hazel
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Opinions sought: byname vs bydns for manualroute
--
Quoth Philip Hazel on Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 14:40:24 +0000
> That's an interesting idea. There is, however, a snag. People use byname
> when they are disconnected from the Internet and their nameservers (e.g.
> for routing round a small private network). They may well have set up
> gethostbyname() _not_ to do DNS lookups. So while I think this could be
> useful, there must be a way of switching it off.

Hum, yeah didn't think of that.

> Hmm. How about the following:
>
>   Default:  call gethostbyname(), if returns NULL, try DNS lookup
>   byname    just do gethostbyname()
>   bydns     just do DNS lookup

Yes, that makes sense and fits well within Exim's ``Do it your way''
design. It has my vote.

--
yann@???                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318