Re: [Exim] confused with ETRN y

Author: Philip Hazel
To: David Woodhouse
CC: exim-users, Steve Foster
Subject: Re: [Exim] confused with ETRN y
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, David Woodhouse wrote:

> > Yes. Exim isn't designed that way. You can't even do ETRN properly if
> > you leave messages on Exim's queue, because Exim doesn't keep queues
> > of mail on a per-host basis.
>
> Even if it did, that wouldn't really be sufficient for TURN. You'd actually
> want something like:
>    foreach(mail in the queue)
>      foreach(recipient of that mail)
>        foreach(MX record for that recipient's domain)
>          // (which is higher-priority than us for that domain)
>          foreach (A record for that MX record)
>        if (IP == connected IP)
>          send mail.

> I don't fancy implementing that :)

Neither do I, but what I meant by "keep queues of mail on a per-host
basis" was that in an MTA designed for this, it would already know which
message/address is destined for which dial-in host, and wouldn't have to
go through all that logic.

Of course, if you use Exim to save messages in BSMTP format in files on
a per-host basis, you are in fact implementing just that.