Re: [Exim] $message_filename ?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: W M Brelsford
CC: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [Exim] $message_filename ?
On Sun, 17 Nov 2002, W M Brelsford wrote:

> Is the name of the temp file containing the current message
> available so I can use it in a filter (.forward) file? E.g.,
>
>    if "${run{bogofilter <$message_filename}{y}}" is y

> Or is there a way to pass the message on standard input to $run?

The current message is not in a single file. See chapter 48 of the
manual for a description of the two files that are used.

But it is not really intended that these files should be read by users'
filters.[*] The whole filtering mechanism has got pushed rather far
beyond its original conception. My design was that if users wanted to
process files on delivery, they should redirect to a pipe and do all the
processing completely independently of Exim. But of course, users never
use one's programs the way you intend them to. I should know that after
30 years...

Philip
[*] With a normal configuration, the files are in any case only readable
by exim or root.