Re: [Exim] Exim with iPlanet Directory Server

Top Pagina
Auteur: Kevin Sindhu
Aan: Dan Lowe
CC: exim-users
Onderwerp: Re: [Exim] Exim with iPlanet Directory Server
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your prompt reply...
[CC'g exim-users@ for archive purposes]

At 10:57 PM 11/16/2002 -0500, Dan Lowe wrote:
>On Saturday, November 16, 2002, at 10:12 PM, Kevin Sindhu wrote:
>
>>Has anyone managed to get exim working with iPlanet Directory Server? If
>>so, could you share your experiences with us?
>
>We use DS 4.15 or 4.16 (I forget which we have running at the moment) with
>Exim 3.x. The syntax is a bit ugly sometimes, what with horribly long
>ldap:// URLs that end up in your Exim config, but it works pretty well (as
>long as you don't do a bunch of unindexed searches, which slows DS down a lot).

Ah...I see. I setup DS 5.1 SP4 today and am hoping to implement an exim
solution for an off site VPN'd server which can (or should) only query this
iDS and relay mail to that sub domain...

Otherwise, iPlanet Messaging server runs great...but it comes down to cost
factors. Right now this is on developmental platform and I may have to
implement it in production and I wanted to bring TCO for this thing down by
using an open-sourced MTA.

>I haven't looked at DS 5.x at all.

It's actually more stable, IMHO than 4.x. I ran 4.x with SIMS 4.x which
literally brought the machine to its knees...this one is much faster
(except takes forever to start up at boot).

>>BTW, in terms of performance and reliability - what do you guyz think of
>>directory server when compared to OpenLDAP 2.x?
>
>I haven't done any performance comparisons. The replication subsystem in
>iPlanet DS 4.x makes OpenLDAP's look really shabby. You can't even resume
>interrupted replication in OpenLDAP; if you miss records you end up having
>to fix it by hand or just re-import and start over. I have an OpenLDAP
>system going as our Address Book server but for the mail back-end we're
>still using iPlanet. I have been looking into switching to all OpenLDAP
>purely based on cost, but the replication issue sort of scares me, to be
>honest. Hopefully I'll find some saving grace for it.

Yeah, same. I've been pretty disappointed by OpenLDAP at times not working
for the current solution(s) my employer demands...However, I'd love to get
some benchmarks between the two and see how it works out...

Kind Regards,

-Kevin

This message was relayed through and checked for viruses on
             mail.open-systems.org
      Visit http://www.wf0.com for our services