Re: [Exim] Mail box format - SCO OpenServer

Autor: Tony Earnshaw
A: frank
CC: Exim Users List
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Mail box format - SCO OpenServer
fre, 2002-11-15 kl. 18:30 skrev Frank S. Bernhardt:

> My question deals with the format of the user's mailbox running under
> SCO OpenServer. Currently, SCO ships with sendmail, that OTHER MTA.
> Sendmail (I guess it's sendmail) places 4 Ctrl-A's (^A^A^A^A) before and
> after each mail message. Exim does not do this. I've never taken note of
> this before on my other Exim installations but last night I installed
> Exim 4.10 on my main server. On the other machines, the users use POP3
> to access their mail so the mailboxes were always empty during an Exim
> install. On the main server, I run IMAP. Therefore the mailboxes were
> NOT empty. Needless to say, this caused me a lot of grief and wringing
> of hands (I'm being polite). I finally figured out the Ctrl-A problem
> and edited everyone's mail box, deleting the Ctrl-A's. Things seem to be
> working ok.

> The actual question is; is separating mail messages with Ctrl-A a common
> thing or even a desired thing? Should I try to configure Exim to
> duplicate this? I checked THE BOOK and found no reference to any of
> this. My worry is that if I have to switch back to sendmail, it'll be a
> bitch to re-insert the Ctrl-A' into everyone's mail box. Should I even
> be concerened?

Well, Larry was right, it's mmdf and in fact it's covered in both the
Exim 4.10 spec.txt and, especially, the 4.x FAQ.

In fact, you never needed to remove the ^as at all, you could just have
told Exim to accept them.

Bear in mind the compile time option, though :-)

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw

I was a teenage mmdf sysadmin before moving staright on to Exim.

e-post:        tonni@???
www:        http://www.billy.demon.nl