Re: [Exim] confused with ETRN

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: Steve Foster
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] confused with ETRN
Steve Foster wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> i hope someone can help, i have got myself confused with ETRN....
>
> my hosts allow ETRN connections from my customers mail-servers , when the
> connecting mail-host sends the ETRN command and the Queue-run is

triggered,
> is an "exim -Mc" processed triggered for each mail-id, and does this
> attempt to send via MX records to the lowest MX...
> or does the ETRN use the SMTP session that gets established by the
> connecting host to deliver the messages to that connecting host.....which

What you mean is "TURN", the client becomes the server and the other way
round, but AFAIK exim does not support TURN.

> may not be the lowest value MX...???

The message is just routed, as every other message.
If you want to deliver to a special host, that's not the primary-mx, or
you want to sent to the host that does send the ETRN, you will have to
do some scripting work (using etrn_command) and add a manual-router.

Be careful, in the case you want to sent to the requesting-hosts, you
need some kind of verification/authentication!!!

ciao