[Exim] appendfile transport and how to bounce mail

Author: Graham Briggs
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] appendfile transport and how to bounce mail
Hi,

I have the following appendfile transport set up currently with Exim 4.10:

local_delivery:
driver = appendfile
directory =
${lookup{$local_part\@$domain}lsearch*@{/usr/exim/users/route}{$value}{}}
delivery_date_add
envelope_to_add
return_path_add
maildir_format
user =
${lookup{$local_part\@$domain}lsearch*@{/usr/exim/users/usergroup}{$value}{exim}}
group =
${lookup{$local_part\@$domain}lsearch*@{/usr/exim/users/usergroup}{$value}{exim}}

Currently using a standard text lsearch file, e.g.,

user1@???: /home/domain/email/user1
user2@???: /home/domain/email/user2
xyz@???: /home/anotherdomain/email/xyz

and the above works great if I simply want all other email @domain.name to
go to a catchall or default maildir:

*@domain.name: /home/domain/email/catchall

but I don't know how to bounce invalid email addresses if I don't have the
catchup configured (i.e., the lsearch*@ fails) ... I tried putting :fail:,
etc, as the second argument:

directory =
${lookup{$local_part\@$domain}lsearch*@{/usr/exim/users/route}{$value}{:fail:}}

).

Erm, hang on, maybe I should be doing that check in the director, not the
transport.... duh (3am configuration blues). Still, I will send the mail
(now I have written it!) just in case someone sees something blindingly
wrong like I should be quoting the keys or something!

Thanks for any help! Once I get this working reliably I can start to look
at Courier IMAP... :)

Oh, and is there a way of having SMTP AUTH without having a file / database
table / etc that has plain passwords in it?

Graham

=====
Graham