Re: [Exim] rewritting adress in Mail-Followup-To

Autor: Marc MERLIN
A: Suresh Ramasubramanian
CC: exim-users, Hans Ginzel
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] rewritting adress in Mail-Followup-To
On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 11:40:44AM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >    how can I set adddress rewriting of the Mail-Followup-To adresses?
> > I want they to be rewriten same as From: addresses.

> That is a feature of your mail client. You also need to be using a client
> that understands and obeys the (non standard, ported from usenet)
> mail-followup-to header - but that's another story.
>
> If you are using mutt or gnus (the two *nix clients I can think of that use
> and obey this header) then you should find it easy.

You're missing the point.

I had the same problem earlier (and still do, I just get not to care
anymore on that particular instance):
- user posts to all@???
- you rewrite the header to to say "all_donotreply@???"
- you alias all_donotreply@??? to some other list
- someone answers with mutt and ends up posting on other list due to
your rewrite but has a Mail-Followup-To pointing to all@???
- next mutt user answers and the answer goes back to the all list, which
is what you wanted to avoid in the first place.

I asked Philip if he would consider adding Mail-Followup-To to the list
of headers you can rewrite, and he was more insterested in a general
solution to this problem (rewrite any header) IIRC.

However, this is still an unsolved problem as of exim 4.10, unless I'm
mistaken.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key