著者: Tony Earnshaw
To: exim-users
題目: [Exim] Sendmail question :-)
List,

Hope that this isn't OT. It's no cry for help, I get enough of that by
reading the spec and this list (magic word: "archives.")

I'd like to ask for a Sendmail comparison.

Exim Example: I had just one single mail domain trying to send me mail
that Exim 4.10 kept failing with 431 temporary failure (I have the
standard ACL require verify = sender and his DNS domain isn't
resolveable.) This went on for days and I got fed up.

Today I was playing around with exim -d and discovered
dns_again_means_nonexist. I put his domain in a file and do an lsearch
on that file. It works beautifully - the next connection from his server
received a 550, whilst all other temporarily unresolveable domains (I
have a dialup connection and for various reasons I often have to
temporarily refuse mail domains) continue to receive 431 messages. The
whole thing cost me about 30 minutes in experimenting.

Magic, just like the ldap, AUTH, virtual domain and other Exim stuff.
What's so beautiful about it, is the fact that should the fellow fix his
DNS, the next time he sends me mail he won't get failed, although the
rule for his domain stays the same.

I have so many specific Exim 4 solutions that I find it almost
unbelievable. Many people, clients, mail groups etc. stick to Sendmail
and want similar solutions with that utility, with Qmail or Postfix. I
consequently refuse, since I already have Exim solutions and don't want
to keep reinventing the wheel.

My question is, of those of you with Sendmail experience, how easy is it
to produce tailor-made solutions (such as the myriad Exim solutions,
including the above that are dead easy to produce) with Sendmail? I've
always contended that configuring Sendmail means sticking to standard M4
macro stuff that other people have developed, or becoming a sendmail.cf
guru. Maybe I'm just a stick-in-the-mud.

Best,

Tony

--

Tony Earnshaw