Re: [Exim] Why aren't my queues working?

Autor: Brett Thorson
A: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Why aren't my queues working?
Going to save you the spam of my eximwhat report, and try to summarize it
here. This is still pretty confusing. Here are the details for the config I
tried today:

trusted_users = exim : majordomo
delay_warning = 0s
deliver_queue_load_max = 20
ignore_bounce_errors_after = 0s
return_size_limit = 10000
queue_only_load = 3
queue_run_max = 2
smtp_accept_queue = 10
strip_trailing_dot
remote_max_parallel = 10
queue_smtp_domains = *

100 Messages came in at 7:45AM. Each one of them started going through the
routing process. They came upon the queue_smtp_domains so no mail was sent
out. This is what I expected.

After that completed, I think the deliveries started up. So I ran eximwhat,
and I see 183 exim tasks running.

exiwhat | grep "waiting for a remote delivery subprocess to finish" | wc -l
89
(Below is exim delivering messages to e-mail addresses)
exiwhat | grep "delivering" | grep "\-00 to " | wc -l
89

So what I am trying to figure out is shouldn't I have at most 20 outbound
connections? Or does exim try to deliver one message, look in the database
for other messages that need to get delivered there, and it tries to pick up
that message? I think that is what is happeneing, but since I keep hearing
"exim has no central queue manager" I can't figure out which one of my
thoughts is wrong.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me to get closer to understanding.

--Brett