Re: [Exim] "neither action flags nor mail addresses given"?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Stefan Bellon
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] "neither action flags nor mail addresses given"?
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Stefan Bellon wrote:

> In /etc/fetchmailrc I have the following line:
>
>    mda "/usr/bin/spamc -u sbellon | /usr/sbin/exim -oMr spam-scanned \
>                                                    -i -f %F %T";
> Most of the time, everything works fine as expected. But some evil SPAM
> messages trigger this error message by Exim:

>    "neither action flags nor mail addresses given"

That occurs when the command line for Exim doesn't tell it to do
anything. In your line, you are suppying a sender address as %F and a
recipient address as %T. If one (or both) of those is actually empty,
you'll end up with a command line that says to Exim "send a message to
... " without saying who the recipient is. So you haven't given it any
recipients, nor have you given it a flag to do anything else (e.g. list
the queue).

I suspect this isn't an evil spam message, but just a bounce message
with an empty sender.

Try replacing %F with '<%F>' so that a bounce sender ends up as <>.