[Exim] Re: UCB Vacation or other Autoresponder

Author: Miquel van Smoorenburg
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] Re: UCB Vacation or other Autoresponder
In article <074801c28690$bcef30c0$44db42ab@FOPSSAFETYLAP>,
David Chait <davidc@???> wrote:
>Greetings,
>    I am having a very difficult time getting an autoresponder to work with
>Exim 4.x, our previous standard was UCB Vacation, however whenever I follow
>the FAQ for installing the product, I get the following results.

>2002-11-07 12:02:49 H=bonair.stanford.edu [171.64.236.22]
>F=<davidc@???> temporarily rejected RCPT
><davidc@???>: require_files: error for
>/home/davidc/.vacation.msg: Permission denied
>
>The config file is set up as follows:
>
>vacation:
>     driver = accept
>     check_local_user
>     require_files = $local_part : $home/.vacation.msg
>     transport = vacation_transport
>     unseen

You probably have SMTP time verify turned on, and at that time
exim runs as the exim user, not as the destination user.
Set no_verify on the router.

BTW, why not use exims built-in filter stuff ? We use something
similar to

vacation:
  driver = redirect
  check_local_user
  require_files = $home/.vacation.msg
  allow_filter
  reply_transport = address_reply
  data = #Exim filter\n\
         if personal then mail to \"${address:$reply_address}\" \
         subject ${quote:Re: $h_subject:} \
         file $home/.vacation.msg \
         once $home/.vacation.db \
         once_repeat 7d endif