RE: [Exim] Why aren't my queues working?

Author: Ben Strawson
To: Brett Thorson, exim-users
Subject: RE: [Exim] Why aren't my queues working?
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Brett Thorson wrote:

> I have been using:
> deliver_queue_load_max = 99
> For quite some time, but I routinely get loads over 1000.

I think you need to bring this value down quite a bit. There are probably
others on this list with more experience that I will ever have, but this
looks
way too high to me (I have 10 at the moment, although I've never spent much
time
tuning that parameter).

You're not running some other process for each delivery (perl script or
something)?

> I tried adding in what you said and I get
> 2002-11-07 11:29:07 Exim configuration error in line 221:
> main option "deliver_load_max" unknown

Ah sorry - it's a version 3 option. We still use 3 here since it does what
we
want very well. I'm still experimenting with 4.

> I guess the only option would be to do a queue_only. That would
> force it onto the queue. If I run queue_run_max = 2 then technically I
> would assume that I would only process 2 messages at a time.

Yes - that should mean that it is only ever performing 2 deliveries at once.
You probably want a _slightly_ higher setting that 2 though or your email
will
never get anywhere :-)

I'd be interested in how you resolve it; the reason I replied is that I've
had similar issues myself, except that the resource being swamped was the
bandwidth, and I needed to scale back the number of deliveries.

Ben.

Ben Strawson                                    ben@???
Good Technology                                       +44 20 7565 8725
332B Ladbroke Grove, London, W10 5AH            www.goodtechnology.com