Re: [Exim] message_size too small?

Author: Philip Hazel
To: John Dalbec
CC: Nico Erfurth, Exim Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [Exim] message_size too small?
On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, John Dalbec wrote:

> >> If I run "exim -d jpdalbec < /dev/null" on my workstation with quotas
> >> enabled the debug messages show message_size=311. But the message that
> >> arrives in my mailbox is 510 bytes. What's up? I tested this with an
> >> unpatched Exim-4.10 build just to make sure it wasn't my patches.
> >>
> >> This discrepancy means that quota_warn_messages may not be sent if the
> >> threshold falls into a gap between message_size and the size of the
> >> delivered message.

Aarrgghh!! I never thought of that. Doh. How stupid of me.

> > The extra-bytes could be headers added while delivery.
>
> Yes, I think you're right. Is there any way to have these added headers
> included in the message_size at quota_warn time? Or is there a way to
> determine the size of the added headers?

No, there isn't. Sorry.

In fact, my view now is that quota_warn_threshold is not as useful as I
first imagined it would be. (We have stopped using it on our servers).
People who want to do warning things are probably better off writing a
separate application that scans mailboxes and checks their sizes over a
a period rather than instantly. However, given that it exists, it ought
to work...