Re: [Exim] Exim Mysql qpopper and other questions

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: Stefaans Mostert
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Exim Mysql qpopper and other questions
Stefaans Mostert wrote:
> Hallo all
>
> I am new to exim and need to know a couple of things.
> usual newbie questions I suppose ;-)

Please tell us first, which exim-version do you use?

> I have baught the O' Reilly book but I need to know a few additional things
> Is there a nice tutorial covering exim & qpopper & Mysql? Freshmeat and google
> seem to not have anything

You should thinkg about switching to courier pop/imap, if you want to
use maildirs.

> Does anyone know of a nice webmail client that can auth from the same mysql
> database?

The webmail-client shouldn't authenticate against the database, but
against the imap/pop-server

> Is there a utillity that someone on the list has used to convert from standard
> mailfile (append file) to maildir ?

Search for mbox2maildir on google, this will bring up some scripts.

> This is a rather large site and I need to do the cutover in roughly 4 to five
> hours.

1.) Install exim, configure and test it (look for the -d/-bh/-bt/-bv
     options for the testing)
2.) Stop sendmail
3.) switch exim into queue_only mode (see the docs for this) and start
     it (you can skip this if you have a reliable backuphost)
4.) convert the mailboxes and setup+test courier-imap
5.) startup exim without queue_only
6.) start a queue-run on your local-machine or the backup host
7.) PRAY!
8.) PRAY!
9.) PRAY!

> P.S
> It is nice to see the developer of the software so active on the list

Yes, but sometimes I think he's too active ;)
(Many people here can't wait for the new edition of the book any longer)
;)

ciao