Re: [Exim] Mass Mailings and Sendmail(exim) process's...

Author: Matthew Byng-Maddick
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Mass Mailings and Sendmail(exim) process's...
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 04:56:51PM -0800, Shaun.Murphy@??? wrote:
> well i searched for bsmtp and didnt find anything on the server. Are you
> saying i should relink /usr/sbin/sendmail to bsmtp? Also upgrading to 4.10
> cant be done... not until cpanel decides to switch to it.
>
> exim -d9 -otheroptions also doesnt work i get this error.
> exim -d9 -otheroptions
> Exim version 3.36 debug level 9 uid=0 gid=0
> Berkeley DB: Sleepycat Software: DB 2.4.14: (6/2/98)
> exim abandoned: unknown, malformed, or incomplete option -otheroptions
>
> "exim -odqs -bS is your friend" i'm running exim as a daemon with -bd and
> queue_smtp_domains = * in the conf... isnt this the same?

I think your client has something to learn about mail submission. The way
in which decent mail submission works is not perhaps how she thinks it
does. In particular, invoking /usr/sbin/sendmail for every message will
make you lose, as you are finding. This only works in qmail because of
its ultra-weird delivery mechanism. If the messages are all the same,
then you will do better submitting them with large numbers of recipients
to /usr/sbin/sendmail, both from a processing point of view, and from a
subsequent bandwidth point of view.

I suggest reading the pages of options to exim, as some of them are useful
and important. In particular, as mentioned, -odqs is a helpful one, but
others may be sensible.

MBM