Re: [Exim] regexp lookups from a file

Author: Rejo Zenger
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] regexp lookups from a file
++ 02/11/02 08:23 +0100 - Nico Erfurth:
>> I couldn't find the thing I'm looking for in the docs, if I have
>> overlooked it, please tell me.
>>
>> What I would like to have for some domains I host is a file like the
>> normal aliases file, but with the added functionality of being able to
>> use regular expresions to specify addresses. In other words, I would
>> like to have a file with, for example:
>>
>>   bounce-.*:    rejo

>> This file I would like to consult from within the main configuration
>> file, similar to the lsearch lookups. Is there a way to do this?
>
>This can't be done yet (AFAIK).
>
>Explain your situation a little bit more, and tell us which version of
>exim you use, maybe we can find a solution.

I'm using 4.10. The mailserver is running a small site only.

I have a couple of aliasses on a domain. Some of these aliasses are
fixed and known in advance (just like the <postmaster> alias that should
be forwarded to a specific account). For these I can use the regular
aliases file to forward them to the correct account.

Then I have some aliasses that have the same pattern, but which I do not
know exactly in advance. So some of these have, for example, the pattern
of "the word 'bounce-' plus some large number", like <bounce-804210412>.
As I do not know them in advance, I'm unable to maintain a large list of
possible aliases.

I know I can solve this by maintaining a regular aliases file for the
first type of addresses and do some regexp'ing from within the main
configuration file and forwarding them to a catch-all-users. But what I
intended to do is to keep all the aliases definitions in a single file,
outside of the main configuration.

I hope this makes clear what I'm aiming at...

--
Rejo Zenger <rejo@???>
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sister