Re: [Exim] no logging about "domain literals not allowed"

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Jeremy C. Reed
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] no logging about "domain literals not allowed"
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I noticed when sending an email using user@[ip] domain literal to an Exim
> 3.34 server that wasn't configured to allow domain literals that it didn't
> log anything when it rejected it.
>
> The sending server logged:
>
> 2002-10-24 11:39:58 184mtg-000547-00 ** testmail@???
> R=literal T=remote_smtp: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<testmail@???>: host [192.168.250.110] [192.168.250.110]:
> 501 <testmail@[192.168..250.110]> : domain literals not allowed
>
> The remote exim didn't log anything. Any ideas?

Odd, but I'm afraid it doesn't seem to me to be a sufficiently serious
problem for me to spend time on it for Exim 3. In Exim 4 I see

09:23:53 SMTP syntax error in "rcpt to:ph10@???" H=[::1]:34563 domain literals not allowed

on the log. Ah. Wait a minutes, that's because I have got logging turned
on for SMTP syntax errors. If there is a switch for that in Exim 3 (I
can't remember when it was invented) then that is the way to get this
logged. Exim treats it as a syntax error.