Re: [Exim] Basic Exim+SQL

Author: Philip Hazel
To: Steve
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Basic Exim+SQL
On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Steve wrote:

> I take it from this, that the config file is read for *every* message, not
> at exim startup?

The config file is read for every execution of the Exim binary. This
doesn't directly correlate with "every message". In a normal
configuration, it is read (1) at daemon startup - which handles all
incoming SMTP messages without re-reading, (2) for every non-daemon
incoming message, (3) at queue runner start up - which handles a number
of delivery retries, and (4) for every non-queue-runner message
delivery.

> and $domain is an internal variable set to the domain of the recipient of
> the email address?

Yes. But it is substituted whenever the value of the option is *used*,
not whenever the config is read.