Re: [Exim] Panic log : TCP port "smtp" is not defined for re…

Author: Dean Brooks
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Panic log : TCP port "smtp" is not defined for remote_smtp transport
> Part of my config file is :
>
> dnslookup:
> driver =3D dnslookup
> domains =3D ! +local_domains
> transport =3D remote_smtp
> ignore_target_hosts =3D 0.0.0.0 : 127.0.0.0/8
> no_more
>
> So why the remote_smtp transport port error *sometimes* ?
> How can I avoid this error?
> With "port=3D25" ?

We too get these errors randomly in a router that looks like:

lookuphost:
driver = dnslookup
self = fail
transport = remote_smtp
ignore_target_hosts = 0.0.0.0/8 : 127.0.0.0/8
no_more

I emailed Philip about it a while back, and he acknowledged that it
might be a bug of sorts, but it didn't happen often enough for me to
be able to get any useful debug information. I only get the message
maybe 2 or 3 times a week, and sometimes not even that.

It may be some sort of OS descriptor resource running low, since
clearly the "smtp" port is well defined in /etc/services.

Regards,

Dean Brooks
dean@???