Re: [Exim] RedHat Linux 8.0 help)

Author: Richard Welty
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] RedHat Linux 8.0 help)
On Wed, 2002-Oct-23 at 07:50, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Yes. I assumed pine would escape the period, like rfc 2821 section 4.5.2
> about transparency suggests. But now I see that even the suggested pine
> config for using sendmail uses "-oi" (which implies that pine won't add
> the extra period).

at first i missed this bit in Jeremy's followup, but i caught it just a
minute ago.

you're making the same mistake i did. RFC2821 & 2822 only apply to actual
SMTP transactions. when an MTA invokes a binary on unix and pipes input to
it, you're not operating in an SMTP environment, and you cannot assume that
things like transparency and cr-lf behavior follow the RFCs. this is why
sendmail has flags like -oi. cr-lf behavior is almost certain to follow the
native environment, which means that unix MTAs often need to specify
-dropcr to exim when calling the binary directly if they use the same
end-of-line code for SMTP and for direct invocation of the MTA.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@???