Re: [Exim] exim performance

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira
CC: exim-users@exim.org
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] exim performance
On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Paulo Henrique Baptista de Oliveira wrote:

> --
>     Hi all,
>     I want to run Exim for a great number of messages/day (1 Milion or more)
> in a i386 machine.
>     I installed Exim 3.35 in a Debian GNU/Linux woody server.
>     The following are the specs(cpu, mem and bogomips):

> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz
> cpu MHz         : 1715.328
> bogomips        : 3420.97
> free
> Mem:        254972     248740       6232          0      28044     205508
> -/+ buffers/cache:      15188     239784
> Swap:       506008          0     506008

>     Exim is configured without any tweaks.
>     We wrote an small C program to send 200 messages through Exim.

>     ./test
> Wed Oct 23 04:11:11 BRST 2002
> Wed Oct 23 04:11:49 BRST 2002

You program is not THAT good, as you have much overhead because of
executeing nc for every message.

>     The program indicates that Exim can handle only 5 mes/sec! ;(
> (200 mes/40s).
>     This is so bad.
>     What I can do to improve this number?
>     I' m atacching the exim.conf too.
>     Much thanks,        Paulo Henrique

I run exim 4.10 on a small system:
PII-350
256 MB Ram
IDE-Drives
(very cheap MoBo)
Linux 2.4.18

The only perfomance related things i do is using split_spool_directory.
From my local system (without RBL/spamlist checking) is can spool
around 1000 Messages per minute.

From a remote-system, i'm able to spool 450-500 messages,
with RBLs and the spamlist from wirehub.nl (as CDB).

i use postal to check the performance

./postal -m5 -p5 myhost /file/with/one/recipient /dev/null
(i could not send multiple message per connection, because postal does
send unsynched)

You should watch for more memory, FAST hardrives and a local dnscache, to
improve performance, your results are too low.

Btw, benchmarking a MTA is not a easy task, as their are many things you
need to take into account, i saw that you use lsearch, this is slow,
because it needs to read every line of the file to get the result, switch
to something more powerful, like CDB or a DBM (created with
exim_dbmbuild).

If you use linux and IDE-Disk, you should try hdparm to tweak the
perfomance of your drives.

ciao