single dot (was Re: Re[2]: [Exim] RedHat Linux 8.0 help)

Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
A: Richard Welty
CC: exim-users
Assumptes vells: Re[2]: [Exim] RedHat Linux 8.0 help
Assumpte: single dot (was Re: Re[2]: [Exim] RedHat Linux 8.0 help)
On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Richard Welty wrote:

> > For some reason, my example ended at my period.
>
> yes, because the interaction between your MUA and your MTA needs to be
> tweaked. your MUA is sending the period by itself instead of doubling it,

Yes. I assumed pine would escape the period, like rfc 2821 section 4.5.2
about transparency suggests. But now I see that even the suggested pine
config for using sendmail uses "-oi" (which implies that pine won't add
the extra period).

> and your MTA is assuming that if you wanted to send a period by itself,

My MTA (my "mailout") didn't escape it either. I have now fixed this (so
if -i or -oi switch is used then escape the dot).

> you'd have doubled it. tweaking one or the other will fix the situation.
> which approach is easiest varies from setup to setup.

The fix was easy. Realizing that my .pinerc had multiple sendmail-path
settings defined was the hard part :) I wonder how that happened ...

Anyways, this is a little off-topic, since this particular issue is
pine -> mailout -> qmail

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/