[Exim] receiver_verify and client not sending to any recipie…

Autor: Jeremy C. Reed
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] receiver_verify and client not sending to any recipients
This is exim 3.22. It has "receiver_verify" set.

I was told that some emails being sent that had many recipients were not
being sent -- and that none of the recipients received the email.

After some tests, I see that exim logged the "verify failed for SMTP
recipient" messages for these attempts.

But I didn't see any corresponding logs for the mails that
should have successfully been sent. So it appeared that the mail
client(s) simply gave up.

I was given a screenshot of the Outlook message:

The message could not be sent because one of the
recipients was rejected by the server. ...

This message seems to indicate that none of the recipients were mailed to.

My own manual tests show that after a recipient fails (eg. "550 Cannot
route to <123@???>"), Exim happily will continue accepting "rcpt
to:" and then "data" and will send the email.

Does anyone know if Microsoft Outlook (and any other clients) can be
configured to still send the email to the working recipients?

Or is that a bad idea?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Should I just let any of the local network that uses the exim for sending
mail to just skip these receiver_verify checks?

Thanks,

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net/