Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?

Author: Steve Haslam
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] exim capable of sorting incoming mail?
On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 07:12:38PM +0200, Robert Wilhelm Land wrote:
> The manual that came with the potato CD's recommends
> to add this line:
>
> mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %s"
>
> which I would like to replace with a exim execution.

Urnf. I use:

mda "/usr/sbin/exim -oMr fetchmail -oem -f %F %T"

in /etc/fetchmailrc and I have "fetchmail" in the trusted_users setting of
Exim so that the "-f %F" part is effective.

> There are two files:
>
> rland@MINI:~$ diff /usr/sbin/exim? /etc/init.d/exim
> Binary files /usr/sbin/exim and /etc/init.d/exim differ
>
> The first one is 430696 the snd one 1078bytes small!
> Could you kindly clarify this?

/etc/init.d/exim is a control script that runs /usr/sbin/exim in the
background, or finds and kills it, as per user request.

> The other question is a general question about the "%s" variable
> in the procmail line mentioned above.
> man procmail explaines ? ? -d recipent ?? ? turnes on the explicit
> deliverey mode, yet how can I extract who "%s" is?

It's actually a feature of fetchmail-- %s is replaced with something when
running the command. But I can't find the documentation of %-escapes in the
fetchmail docs. However from the procmail documentation, I would deduce that
%s is the local user the message is destined for.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      Reading, UK                           araqnid@???
Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer                               araqnid@???