Re: [Exim] Re: correction of Date-header

Author: John W Baxter
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: correction of Date-header
At 0:32 +0100 10/15/2002, Robert Lister wrote:
>I've never tried to remove the client's date header.
>
>Always a bit wary of doing things like this, as any problems or backlogs
>would get re-dated and therefore it would make it more difficult
>(especially for users/legal beagles) to prove what is going on if a delay
>of some sort occurred, although the sending client sent it with a date, the
>server would then replace that header as though it had been resent.

There is also the issue of a machine whose clock is correct, and a mail
client which sets up the date header when the message is queued by the MUA
for sending rather than when it is sent by the MUA (which might be days
later).

Since the "first" Received: header (in a message without forgeries) shows
when the message moved on from the MUA to the next step, it would seem
correct to leave the MUA's view of the Date: header alone.

--John

--
John Baxter   jwblist@???      Port Ludlow, WA, USA