Re: [Exim] Question about altering antivirus.exim

Author: Nico Erfurth
To: SaDaHa
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Question about altering antivirus.exim
SaDaHa@??? wrote:
> I've noticed that the EXIM mail program is setup with a filter
> (message_filter) to block email sent containing many file extensions,
> contained in the file /etc/antivirus.exim.
>
> I am not concerned about the safetly of my users' computers - it's
> everyone's responsibility to run virus software on their local
> machine. My only concern is the server itself - if I enable some of
> these file types (.exe, .eml, etc) is there any danger to the server?
> Or just to the recipient, if he's stupid enough to open them?

1.) Learn to wrap your mails at 72 chars.

2.) YOUR exim is setup to do so, i did a quick search on google and
found something about it on site5.com

3.) The filter is most probably Nighels systemfilter, which tries to
catch mails to your users, which have executeable content, you can
disable it, if you don't care about this, exim will ne bot affected by
such viruses. Because, it does not run on Windows(In most cases ;)) and
it does not handle the message body at all.

So, you can disable it if you don't care about the checks.

ciao