Re: [Exim] Exiscan using reject behaviour

Author: Dr Andrew C Aitchison
To: Nigel Cass
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exiscan using reject behaviour
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Nigel Cass wrote:

> I'm curious as to how other people are implementing av under exiscan in
> order to provide the sender with a reasonable error message ?

Hmm. Rejecting viruses at SMTP time instead of accepting them and then
bouncing them does have this wrinkle.

Remote senders of viruses aren't a problem, since their messages
will have come through their MTA, which can generate a sensible
rejection message.
I take it you are therefore interested in your local users getting a
meaningful message when they attempt to send a virus ?
I control my client machines and most of them are unix, so although
I had discovered this problem, I haven't bothered to address it yet.

Now you have got me wondering.
A user might send a document contaminated with a word macro virus,
but these days most viruses propagate by sending themselves, so it
isn't the user's MUA, but the virus' MUA that counts.
When a virus sends an email, would the user see the "mail failed"
message ?

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison        Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
A.C.Aitchison@???    http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna