Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc

Author: Marc MERLIN
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Overhauled 'Exim and Mailman' doc
On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:47:39AM -0400, Greg Ward wrote:
> >   # Single mailman (list) handling router.  Handles both
> >   # the administration addresses (which have suffixes on)
> >   # and the (bare) list post address.
> >   mailman_router:
> >     driver = accept
> >     require_files = MAILMAN_HOME/lists/$local_part/config.pck
> >     local_part_suffix_optional
> >     local_part_suffix = -bounces : -bounces+* : \
> >                         -confirm+* : -join : -leave : \
> >                         -owner : -request : -admin
> >     transport = mailman_transport

> From the comments (Marc's?) in the previous README.EXIM, I think the

Yep, those were my comments

> rationale for having two routers (directors) was to accomodate lists
> named eg. 'foo-owner'.

Correct.
This allows you to make mailman-owner a list.
Without the split, it fails miserably.

> On reflection, I realize this is only a problem if you *also* have a
> list named 'foo' -- and that combination is just doomed to fail with
> *any* MTA configuration. One router (director) it is.

No, that's not correct. If you have any list called foo-owner, this
router will strip -owner, and look for a list foo. It won't find one and
then say that foo-owner is not a valid recipient and bounce the mail.

Admittedly, this would be true for any other foo-admin or foo-request
list, but hopefully we don't have any of those because they conflicted
with mm 2.0 already.
foo-owner was valid as a list name for mm 2.0, so it should keep working
with mm 2.1 IMO, hence the two routers :-)

But eh, that's ok either way, it's already in my exim4.conf, so that's
all I really care about :-)

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/   |   Finger marc_f@??? for PGP key