[Exim] .forward files: documentation & suggestion

Author: Alain Williams
To: exim-users
Subject: [Exim] .forward files: documentation & suggestion
A couple of items on .forward files.

1)
  I wanted to mail a couple of people when mail with a certain subject was received in a mail box.
  The documentation (filter.txt) says that the syntax is:
    mail [to <address-list>]
  but <address-list> is not defined. I tried several 'obvious' formats before finding the correct one.
  It may be explained somewhere, but I could not find it.
  It may be a good idea to add something to one of the examples:

    # Exim filter
    if $header_subject: contains "empire" or
       $header_subject: contains "foundation"
    then
       save $home/mail/f+e
       mail to "haari.seldon, mule" subject "Book mail received" text "Sent to Trantor"
    endif

    Someone who has read the books more recently that I have could get the names right.

2)
I use .forward files to automatically process mail that arrives from trading partners (boring, but
important, things like sales figures). If something goes wrong with the script the error text is
sent back to the sender -- I would like it sent to me so that I can fix the problem.

'deliver' has a 'errors_to' that allows this to be sent somewhere else, this is not possible
iwth 'pipe'. I don't want this put in the system-wide exim configure file, I want it to be
configurable by user. May I suggest the following syntax:

pipe --errors_to prod_errors@localhost '/usr/local/bin/ProcessProdMail'

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>