Re: [Exim] [Debian] Exim at high loads

Author: Glen Mehn
To: Nico Erfurth
CC: David, exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] [Debian] Exim at high loads
Nico Erfurth wrote:

> David wrote:
>
>>> If I did not want this benefits I'd use
>>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
>>

>> Exactly.. I moved to Debian on account of .deb packaging, and am a bit
>> reluctant to begin "wildcard" additions. As Andreas has said, I'm not
>> afraid to compile the package, but I hate to do something that will mess
>> up the nice clean, packaging system.
>

> It isn't a nice clean packaging system if you can't drop in something
> else without problems, and thats why i don't like debian, they have
> EVERYTHING, but everything depends on something else, either you brake
> your whole system, or you stay with the defaults.

not really, but it's an advanced (IMO) packaging system, but you'll have
to do some work to fit everything in, and do things the Debian Way. Just
like with rpm, fbsd ports, etc.

> I prefer small and clean DISTRIBUTIONS, where you can put your own stuff
> in if you wan't, in fact i use Trustix (www.trustix.org) with everything
> updated what i need myself (exim instead of postfix, courier instead of
> uw-imap, ....) and i still can use the Trustix updating-tool without
> problems. In and cases where i need a package more than one time i just
> build my own rpm and deploy it on my maschines.

you can do the same thing with debian.

>> So.. would there be anything wrong with just leaving exim3 installed,
>> this would satisfy the m-t-a dependencies, and leave all the other
>> exim-related things in place.. Then compile exim4 to go into
>> /usr/local/bin, put a symlink to exim4 in as /usr/sbin/exim.. Then it
>> might be good to put a "hold" on exim and leave it like that unless and
>> until a suitable package for exim might appear on Debian. Is there any
>> way that this could cause a problem? Not exactly "The Debian Way", but
>> workable? I'm not sure I'm capable of creating a bona-fide deb package
>> yet, and it seems that creating an equivs package would be no less
>> offbeat than my idea.
>

> Debian will not provide a exim4 package until the next release.
>
> The problem (i don't see it as an advantage) with debian is, that they
> package up EVERYTHING, if you want to use a newer (another) version of
> something you get into trouble.

not really-- you just have to make sure that your package (and your
packages.list) 'provides' certain tasks-- so that you'd have to have the
dkpg database understand that your 'exim4' package provides
mail-transfer-agent.

And you can _always_ roll your own packages as well, either from source
or making your own debs.

this is really off-topic, at this point.

glen