Re: [Exim] Re: correction of Date-header

Author: James P. Roberts
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Re: correction of Date-header
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 05:07:04PM +0000, Sven Geggus wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > some users of a Mailserver I'm the Admin for tend to have there Hardware
> > clocks set to something bogous. I would not care about this if I would not
> > get Mail from them myself from time to time.
> >
> > Beeing the Admin of their Mailserver I thought about just correcting the
> > Date myself bevore the Email is actually sent to the net!
> >
> > Can this be done in an easy way using exim or is this a more complex thing
> > to do.
> What about using ntpdate on your users machines ? It would be fix this
> problem and probably other problems related to their broken clock.
> --
> Bernard Massot

If your users have Windoze machines, check out Dimension 4, a freeware package for synching time to a remote source. Then run ntpd
(network time protocol daemon) on your server, and slave them to it.

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4

I use this setup, and am very happy with it.

Jim Roberts
Punster Productions, Inc.

p.s. - My brother-in-law (a Mac user) was just telling me the other day about how he deliberately fails to correct his system clock,
because he "likes the idea of his emails seeming to have been written decades ago." In the spirit of not messing with other
people's stuff, unless you absolutely have to, I wouldn't modify the original message; but, nothing stops you from putting in a
header with the correct timestamp, to indicate when it was processed by your server. ;)