Re: [Exim] Hosts which retry when given 5xx at end of data (…

Author: Alan J. Flavell
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Hosts which retry when given 5xx at end of data (v3 -> v4 issue)
On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Philip Hazel wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Alan J. Flavell wrote:
>
> > To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
> >
> > and we attempted to reject it on syntax. But I guess this would be
> > the same for any kind of rejection at end of data?
>
> Yes. And bad syntax rejection would have been the same in Exim 3.

Oh - sorry for the misunderstanding.

> You can't test the headers until after DATA.

Sure, _that_ part I understood...

> I'm afraid you are chasing a red herring here. That V3 strategy worked
> only for sender checking, not for checking anything after DATA.

Ah! then that was the part that I hadn't understood.

So you're saying that neither version has a strategy for dealing with
hosts which react to 5xx at end of data as if it's a retryable
error... Oh well, thanks for the reply, anyway.

cheers