Re: [Exim] bugbear worm]

Autor: Nico Erfurth
A: Robert Stanford, exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] bugbear worm]
Robert Stanford wrote:

>>IMHO one should use a virus-scanner to catch viruses, a systemfilter is
>>not the right thing, especially not if it's such easy builded as yours.
>

> The numpties here do, however considering antivirus software is as
> useful as tits on a bull, extra precautions need to be taken. In this
> case if they didnt update the day before they would have got infected
> with bugbear.

If you want to catch such stuff, use a system-filter which check for the
encoded file headers, IIRC correctly the first bytes aof an windows
executeable are fixed.

> You might also take a lesson in design, simple solutions are typicaly
> more efficetive than complicated ones. Here in Australia we call it the
> KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid Virus signatures are a stupid way
> to stop the things coming in on emails, every new virus or new varuant
> gets straight past those who havent updated. Through good policy, we've
> had zero infections over a number of locations.

Here in Germany we say "The right tool for the right job" ;)

> The whole antivirus industry is a bit of a sham, why do you think people
> still get hit. It the vendors actualy made a product that worked then
> who would need to pay them annual update subscriptions?

People get hit (especially by email worms) because they are dumb, and
they don't upgrade their virus informations.