Re: [Exim] Need some non-conforming domain names please :-)

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: Exim users list
Subject: Re: [Exim] Need some non-conforming domain names please :-)
Nico Erfurth wrote:
> Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
>
>> I'm working on an update to my callout caching patch, that will cache
>> things like domains that respond negatively to MAIL FROM:<> or that
>> respond positively to all local parts.
>

> What's non conforming on replying ok for ALL local parts?`
> I do so for my private domain, and i forward everything to my own mailbox.

This is fine. What this means to me is that once I have confirmed that
your server accepts all local parts (or at least a sufficiently random
one), I can cache that fact and stop sending sender verification
callouts for your domain. Maybe my choice of "non-conforming" was a bit
strong here.. Sorry about that.

> What about front-end servers, that accept ANYTHING, just checking for
> the receiver-domains and letting the backend do the hard stuff?

Ditto.

> And you can't filter for servers that reject bounces in every case, just
> think of exim, the sender verification is done in the RCPT acl (mostly),
> how do you know what's denied?

This is only for sender verification callout caching (whew!). With the
code I'm working on, if the server rejects MAIL FROM:<>, then I'll cache
that and again stop trying to do sender verification callouts for that
domain (until the cache record expires, anyway).