Re: [Exim] Rejecting bounce messages with multiple recipient…

Author: Sebastien J. Gross
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Rejecting bounce messages with multiple recipients
Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@???> writes:

> However, note that there are broken MTAs out there that bounce messages
> to the address(es) in the From header. I've never bothered to find out
> what they are; for my application, it's sufficient to know that they
> exist.

In an other way there are also MTUs such as lotus notes thsat sends
Mailer-Daemon with an really invalid address:

The problem appears on double bounces. The original mailer daemon is
send to the original sender (ok that's the normal way). But as long as
the original mail is a spam with a faked email address, the
mailer-daemon, is rejected (unknown recipient). Thus a double bounce
is send to <HOSTNAME/DOMAIN/TLD@???> which is _not handled_ by
the remote server. Then the Lotus server replies with a valid error
message:
bu no sender specified.

I was wondering if it's a good idea to drop them even if this address
is RFC2822 complient.

According RFC2822, a such email is valid:

From: Pete(A wonderful \) chap) <pete(his account)@silly.test(his host)>

And a Return-Path is a path specification, which is an addr-spec

I wonder I was clear enough.

I can post a real example if needed.

--
Sebastien J. Gross