Re: [Exim] looking up different MX records for a domain

Góra strony
Autor: Philip Hazel
Dla: Paul Makepeace
CC: exim-users
Temat: Re: [Exim] looking up different MX records for a domain
On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> I can't figure out how to pass on routing info to exim that it treats
> like MX though, with multiple machines and different priorities. Is this
> possible? If not, with some C hacking?

Only at one level. Set up your mail hub to the primary host(s), and use
fallback_hosts to specify the secondary host(s).

> Also, I couldn't find an explicit description of exim's behaviour with
> multiple hosts in route_list - does it try one after the other? (Sec.
> 19.3 and 19.4 are useful for syntax but not what it *does*, as far as
> my comprehension goes :-)

It tries them in order, unless you set hosts_randomize. You are right.
It doesn't seem to say this very clearly...

> This actually works(!) but a) seems like a hack b) AFAIK doesn't follow
> MX semantics.
>
> Is there a better way?

One thing that is missing from Exim 4 is the ability to say "route
domain X as if it were domain Y". This is on the Wish List. If it were
implemented, you could just set up MX records for "domain Y".

However, the possible idea of having host priorities specified
explicitly (as opposed to getting them from MX records) is new. I've put
that on the WishList too.

The Wish List is growing rapidly, but I do hope to start to tackle some
of it once I've got this book out of the door.