Re: [Exim] Text for :fail:

Autor: Philip Hazel
A: Phil Chambers
CC: exim-users
Assumpte: Re: [Exim] Text for :fail:
On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Phil Chambers wrote:

> exim4, section 21.6 says the text following :fail: when verifying an
> address for SMTP RCPT is used in the 550 response. I have an ACL with
> no "message" statement which causes recipient verification and a
> router which generates
>
> :fail: Unroutable domain "loc-part@dom-part"
>
> I find that a -bh test ends with
>
> 550 Unknown user "loc-part" at "dom-part"
> LOG H=... rejected RCPT <loc-part@dom-part>: Unroutable domain "loc-part@dom-part"
>
> Is this a bug or a documentation error? If the latter, then it seems
> odd to allow and text after the :fail:.

This has been discussed on the list several times, I think. The
"message" qualifier in the ACL overrides. This text was added to the
4.10 documentation:

   If "message" is used on a statement that verifies an address, the message   |
   specified overrides any message that is generated by the verification       |
   process. However, the original message is available in the variable         |
   $acl_verify_message, so you can incorporate it into your message if you     |
   wish. In particular, if you want the text from ":fail:" items in redirect   |
   routers to be passed back as part of the SMTP response, you should either   |
   not use a "message" modifier, or make use of $acl_verify_message.           |

   If "message" is used with "warn", it causes a header line to be added an    |
   incoming message; for non-message ACLs, it has no effect with "warn".       |