[Exim] Re: upgrading from Exim 3.35 to 4.10 on Debian Woody

Top Pagina
Auteur: Miquel van Smoorenburg
Aan: exim-users
Onderwerp: [Exim] Re: upgrading from Exim 3.35 to 4.10 on Debian Woody
In article <20021003155901.GK5403@???>,
Hans Wilmer <lee@???> wrote:
>has anyone yet upgraded from the Exim 3.35 that comes within the
>Debian Woody distribution to Exim 4.10?

Yes

>I'm afraid of running into
>broken package dependencies if I deinstall the Exim package; and I
>might eventually mix the two versions if I leave the old package
>installed. There may be lots of other problems, of course.

If you want to install exim from source, it's best to remove
the existing exim3 entirely. Build a dummy exim4 package
using 'equivs' that says

Package: exim4
Provides: mail-transport-agent
Replaces: mail-transport-agent

Now remove exim (dpkg --purge --force-depends exim) and install
the dummy package with dpkg -i

You now have no mail system on your box, but the dependencies
are satisfied, so you can install exim4 from source.

>Well, if anyone has already made the upgrade, it would be nice if
>he/she could give some hints how the switch can be done best. --- Or
>is there a Debian package of Exim 4.10 I just couldn't find?

I found one or two unofficial exim4 packages using Google.
I packaged exim-4.10 myself too - you can find it on
ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/debian/cistron/

No guarantees on anything especially not on what will break
if the exim-maintainer puts an official exim4 into Debian
and you upgrade to it.

Mike.