[Exim] choosing a smarthost depending on header_from

Autor: tiefsinn
A: exim-users
Assumpte: [Exim] choosing a smarthost depending on header_from
Hi there
I just switched to debian and I'm hoping that I can also replace sendmail
with exim.
I'm using different pop3-accounts on various providers ( e.g. Msn, Gmx,
Lycos, Web.de)
Each of those pop3-servers will only accept mail from a certain From-address
and with a certain login. I want exim to route my mail to a specific
smarthost depending on what my MUA put in the From-header.
example:
#
noone@??? --> choose smarthost pop.gmx.de
someone@??? --> choose smarthost pop3.web.de
#
I'm assuming setting the required login data for the smarthosts isn't the
issue, since exim propably provides facilities for that.
I know postfix isn't capable of this routing, only sendmail could do it with
the help of Neil W. Rickerts sender_based_routing hack
http://www.cs.niu.edu/~rickert/cf/hack/sender_based_routing.m4

I looked a little bit into the exim docs, and I think that the following
exerpt from the faq might be related: (I mean that manualrouting, route_list's
and the "if match" expression might help)
#
A0315: The problem is that the second item in the route_list contains white
space, which means that it gets terminated prematurely. To avoid this, you
must put the second item in quotes:

         route_list = * "${if match{$header_from:}{.*\\.usa\\.net\\$} \
                      {<smarthost1>}{<smarthost2>}}" bydns_a
#
I would be very happy if someone who is already familar with exim could come
up with a solution, since I already spent month finding out all there is
about sendmail configuration and I don't wonna put that much effort in exim,
before I know that it is capable of solving my problem. (I once read the whole
postfix doc, only to hear from the author , that postfix will never be able to
do this)

Thank you very much
Tim Steuler

--
+++ GMX - Mail, Messaging & more http://www.gmx.net +++
NEU: Mit GMX ins Internet. Günstige DSL- & Modem/ISDN-Tarife!