Re: [Exim] Exim 4.05 - verify sender newbie question

Author: Kevin P. Fleming
To: Jamie Nudds
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Exim 4.05 - verify sender newbie question
Jamie Nudds wrote:
> Hi
>
> Just started testing Exim 4.05 started with looking at the default v4
> configure file options as shown on the website. I have not alter the
> ALC config, however the require verify = sender does not seem to
> work.
>
> I have tested via telnet myserver.co.uk 25 and made up a
> fake (unroutable e-mail address) however it is still accepted
> i.e not verified.
>
> Any advice would be very helpful..
>
> Cheers

If you only use verify=sender, exim is just going to check that the
supplied sender address _appears_ to be mailable (i.e. the domain has MX
records, you have a router willing to route that address, etc.).

If you use verify=sender/callout, exim will actually make a call to the
(supposed) server for that domain and attempt to verify that the address
is valid. There are lots of reasons why this isn't perfect, but it does
work very well. If you have a heavy message load, I have recently posted
a callout caching patch that will reduce your server's callout volume...
look in the archives for that.