Re: [Exim] What does this error mean?

Author: Torsten Mueller
To: exim-users@exim.org
Subject: Re: [Exim] What does this error mean?

"Alan J. Flavell" schrieb:

> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Torsten Mueller wrote:
>
> > helo_allow_chars = _
> > allows the underscore in the HELO greeting (which helps to accept
> > messages
> > from misconfigured Exchange servers).
>
> I'm not sure what benefit we get by rewarding admins who misconfigure
> their servers. As long as people are willing to do that, we get such
> admins whining at us "but everyone else accepts our mail, why don't
> you?". This morning there was one with underscores _and_ an ampersand
> in it. Sigh.

There's no benefit. But the number of hosts with underscores is
simply too high to ignore them completely. The fact, that a
helo_allow_chars option exists, reflects this too. I for
myself "relaxed" my config with this option, as a user
requested it.
At the time, i didn't relaxed the config, the sending user got
a "user not found" error from the Exchange server back.

Torsten